There are more options than ever to correct refractive vision errors and restore clear, crisp eyesight. While LASIK is one of the most popular solutions, it's certainly not the only option available to you. One alternative that has become increasingly common in recent years is Visian ICL.
The right option for you will depend on your unique circumstances, including the severity of your refractive vision errors, the thickness of your corneas, your personal preferences and a variety of other factors. Many people who aren't suitable LASIK candidates have achieved excellent results with Visian ICL. This procedure can also be the best option for some patients who are good candidates for laser vision correction.
What is LASIK?
LASIK is a laser vision correction procedure performed to improve issues associated with nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism. During the procedure, an excimer laser is used to reshape your cornea, allowing light to focus more clearly on your retina. LASIK has an extremely high success rate, and almost all of Dr. Foulkes' LASIK patients are able to see clearly without the need for glasses or contacts.
You may be a good candidate for LASIK if you:
- Are over the age of 18
- Have stable vision for at least 2 years
- Have healthy eyes
- Need to correct vision issues associated with nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism
- Don't suffer from any health conditions that may affect your eyes
- Are not pregnant or nursing
LASIK offers a variety of benefits, including:
- Accurate results
- Minimal downtime, with results experienced the next day
- Permanent vision correction
What is Visian ICL?
Visian ICL corrects your vision by inserting an implantable collamer lens into your eye. This implantable collamer lens performs the same functions as a traditional contact lens, but they remain in your eye permanently. As a result, you will be free of the hassles associated with glasses and contact lenses.
Just about everyone who is a LASIK candidate is also a candidate for Visian ICL. However, this procedure is also effective for many individuals who are unable to undergo LASIK for one of the following reasons:
- Lack the corneal thickness for the LASIK procedure
- Have severe refractive vision errors that can't effectively be corrected by LASIK
- Suffer from severe dry eyes
Benefits of Visian ICL include:
- No risk of higher order aberrations, such as glare and halos, which may occur after LASIK
- Permanent results
- Procedure can be reversed if complications occur or your prescription changes over time
- Wider treatment range than LASIK
- Minimal downtime, and results are experienced right away
- Provides UV protection from the sun's harmful rays
Which Procedure is Right for Me?
Ultimately, the best vision correction option for you must be determined after undergoing a thorough eye examination. During your initial consultation, Dr. Foulkes will evaluate the condition of your eyes in order to recommend the ideal solution to address your unique needs.
Please contact Foulkes Vision using the form on this page or call 630-724-1400 today to schedule a free consultation. We serve patients in Chicago, Lombard and throughout the surrounding areas of Illinois.