LASIK surgery is an extremely effective way to improve your vision if you experience refractive errors such as nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism. In general, most patients achieve great results, and more than 95% of LASIK patients indicate that they're satisfied with their outcome. As a result, you should be able to confidently expect that you'll be happy with your vision after your procedure.
While it's extremely likely that you'll be able to see clearly without glasses following LASIK, it's important to understand that 20/20 vision cannot be guaranteed. That being said, the success rate for LASIK makes it very likely that you'll experience 20/20 vision or better:
- Roughly 99% of LASIK patients experience 20/40 vision or better
- Over 90% of LASIK patients experience 20/20 vision or better
In most cases, 20/40 vision or better will be clear enough to eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses. In Illinois, the standard for driving without corrective lenses is 20/40 vision.
Factors which May Impact Your LASIK Results
The following factors may impact your LASIK outcome:
- Technology -- The technology your LASIK surgeon uses can significantly impact your results. You have a much greater likelihood of achieving 20/20 vision or better when your procedure is performed with the most advanced technology. Bladeless LASIK, where your corneal flap is created with a laser instead of a microkeratome blade, can significantly reduce your risk of higher order aberrations including glare and halos. Also, using the most advanced lasers which utilize computerized 3D mapping of your eye will help you achieve the most accurate results possible.
- Your prescription -- The severity of your eyeglass prescription can potentially impact your ability to achieve 20/20 vision after LASIK. If you have severe nearsightedness or farsightedness, you may have a lower chance of achieving 20/20 or better, and you may even still require glasses after LASIK. In some instances, Dr. Foulkes may recommend Visian ICL in order to achieve the best possible results for patients with severe refractive errors.
- Your surgeon -- The skill of your LASIK surgeon plays an important role in the outcome you achieve. When searching for laser eye surgeons, make sure you choose a doctor who has performed thousands of LASIK procedures.
LASIK Success Rate at Foulkes Vision
At Foulkes Vision, we use the latest and most advanced technology in order to achieve the best possible results on your LASIK procedure. Using these advanced lasers, over 60% of our patients have achieved better than 20/20 vision, and over 90% of our patients have achieved 20/20 vision.
However, our goal for our patients is to achieve "20/happy" vision. In other words, we want you to be happy with your eyesight even if it isn't 20/20 following your procedure. In most cases, you will be extremely happy with your vision if it's 20/25 or 20/30. While this isn't 20/20, it represents a vast improvement from your current prescription and should eliminate your need for glasses.
During your initial consultation, we'll discuss your goals and expectations with you to make sure you have a realistic expectation of the results that can be achieved based on the current condition of your eyes.
Contact our Chicago LASIK Surgeon
If you're interested in finding out whether LASIK is right for you, please contact Foulkes Vision using the form on this page or call 630-724-1400 today to schedule a free consultation. We serve patients in Chicago, Lombard, Downers Grove and throughout the surrounding areas of Illinois.